Monday, September 17, 2007

very clever, mr. cold

This belongs in the comment section, but I couldn’t help myself. Because I know you a bit, Mr. Cold, I know that a phrase like “reinventing” the “global pop music game” is intended primarily as ironic instigator and not as a substantive assertion. If I didn’t get this, mind you, your post would be downright offensive. So let’s start with your words. It was masterful to note that when you strip away “the bullshit, the self-aggrandizement, the petulance, the superficiality, the materialism, the chipmunk vocal samples, the sampling in general,” what you have left are the SINGLES. I feel bad for the poor fellow (or one of our female readers?) who thinks that a catchy single, especially one which can best be described as “silly,” deserves any more credit the hundreds of passing pop fads with which we are seasonally bombarded. And all this said, the mere idea we give any credence to the whims of the global pop scene? Brilliant. I am always saying, “every 14 year-old loves it; how could it be anything but progressive and perfect?”

This albums has 3 songs to which I would be happy to dance while out and about. That does not make it great, especially considering that the album also has some of the worst songs I have ever heard (enter Drunk and Hot Girls and the continued decline of Mos).

The girl in the video below is really fly. And so quoth two of my favorite idiot savants of cultural criticism:
Butthead: Dude I love rap videos.
Beavis: Yeah yeah! BRBRBRBB!!
Butthead: They don’t mess around with stupid stuff and just get right to what I want to see.
Beavis: Yeah yeah!
Butthead: Bouncing boobs.
(both): Uh huh huh uh huh huh.

Way to pave the way Kanye. I am a little disheartened that the reinvented game seems so derivative and unoriginal, but I guess “that’s just the way it is.”

No comments: