Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cracked Pepper

New album from Ill Chemist and CCC came out over the weekend called Cracked Pepper. It's a celebration of the 40th anniversary of The Beatles "Lonely Hearts Club Band" through a mash-up of everyone under the sun.

I'll happily lay my cards on the table and say that I hate the Beatles (as well as U2, Oasis, and that Jared guy from Subway). The reason for this is 1) because the music is outdated now and 2) if the song comes on a jukebox in a bar take a look around at the assholes singing along with "Hey Jude" and you'll know why.

That being said, I think this is a wonderful and masterful creation. It captures the magic that people must have felt in 1967 when the original album came out, while still pushing music in a creative and interesting way. It's not your typical mash-up and is incredibly complex and intelligent. It references the inspirations for the album, the music that the album later inspired, and makes leaps between obscure genres deftly. Like I said, it's a masterful album.

I strongly recommend checking it out.

CCC and Ill Chemist Present: Cracked Pepper

No comments: