Friday, December 14, 2007

Who We He Be

I think you can trace every strain of our generation to this:

It features reappropriation, reverence coupled to an irony-tinged distance, unabashed fondness for childhood and childish things, using coolness (here the canonization of the Talking Heads) as a foil for the haters while spectacularly geeking out, the dense layers of references one must understand to enjoy the media...
I don't know, am I taking this too far? I would appreciate voices of skepticism on my little theory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

By the end of this song, I am pretty sure I was close to killing my self.

hemanzero said...

I am with the mysterious "matthew" here. I see this as a simple cover song or mere immitation, things to which the muppets and their form of performance don't particularly lend themselves. Maybe my ability to catch all of the "dense references" here is as limited as that adjective is overstating what is happening, but I find this interesting one for its hokey fun-ness, and even that wears thin pretty quickly.

Victor9000 said...

I think maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I don't mean to suggest that the video is especially good (it's not), I just mean that it is a particularly apt collection of the things that make up modern indie rock (going beyond just music here and into visual art, cinema, iconography) and the cultural elite. The truth is that the Dave Eggers' and Sufjan Stevens' will end up dictating, if not actually writing, the cultural signposts of America in The New York Times and other high-end mainstream publications, and their thoughts will reflect and trickle back down to blogs and other unitary sources of analysis. They are from our generation, and this video features some of what makes our generation different from ones that came before.